Thursday, November 4, 2010

What You Can Do With a Bachelor of Arts

So after three years of hard work (ha!), long nights (of drinking) and personal growth (thanks to said drinking) I have finished my degree.

I knew this day was coming, but in the end it sort of snuck up on me. One minute I was writing "Portable Music and the Urban Experience", and the next I was clutching a glass of wine on my couch giggling slightly hysterically.

My housemate came home to find me like this, and was amused, but also slightly concerned and he asked me why I was freaking out.

"I have this really big essay due in tomorrow."
"Shouldn't you be finishing it, instead of drinking?"
"Ah, that's the problem. It IS finished." Cue hysterical giggling.

He clearly didn't understand how this was a problem so I cleared things up for him.

I'vefinishedmydegreeandnowIdon'tknowwhatI'mgoingtodowiththerestofmylifemaybeI'llgobacktoschoolanddoanotherdegreeormaybeI'llmovetoIndiawhatifnoonehiresmeandIspendtherestofmylifelookingforajobanditsucksmaybeI'llbecomeastrippernoIknowI'mgoingtomovetoAfghanistanI'vealwayswantedtogototheMiddleEastmaybeI'lldohonoursandjuststayatschoolforev... (The hysteria was rising.)

He sat down beside me and patted my arm. I was touched, and surprised as he's not normally a comforting person.

"Hannah, listen to me. Don't worry about anything. You have a Bachelor of Arts. You'll have no trouble getting a job - they're opening a new McDonald's in town!"

No comments:

Post a Comment