Saturday, June 12, 2010

Sushi Moto!


As much fun as it is to write negative reviews, I only have nice things to say about Moto Sushi Bar on Parnell Road. After my last Japanese food experience, I was on the hunt for something better, and I'd heard that this place was a win. A friend took me along for a late dinner on Saturday night and we had no trouble getting a booking for 8.45 (even though I'd called from the car on the way over). We were seated immediately and given hefty leather menus to peruse. The decor was fantastic, a mish mash of different pieces of Japanese art, some big red paper lamps and little stone condiment bottles. We both ordered the Chicken Box, which was very reasonable at $16.50, and water. The miso soup arrived very promptly, steaming and delicious, and no sooner were we done than the boxes arrived. I was in love at first sight; little seperate compartments held all the different components of our meal. There was chicken teriyaki, still sizzling slightly, a salad with a delicious sweet dressing on it, several pieces of vegetable tempura and three pieces of sushi, as well as a little bowl of rice on the side. I loved the pick and mix format, and had a lot of fun eating salad with chopsticks, but the sushi was my favourite, with a selection of chicken and fish pieces that I saved until last.
They were very insistent that they closed at ten, and I suspect that if we'd wanted to linger over our meal they would have had something to say about that, but otherwise I found the service very good. The meal was very well priced for the wonderful selection that we got, and I thought they were the perfect size. There's nothing lavish about this place, but it's cute and delicious for a quick meal next time you're in Parnell.

305 Parnell Road, Parnell (09) 358 1610
Open Mon-Sat 11am-3pm, 5:30pm-10pm

No comments:

Post a Comment