Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Things That Make Me Irrationally Nervous

Being The Only Passenger On A Bus
Partly related to a book I read as a kid in which a school bus is hijacked by a man who pretends to be the driver and drops most of the kids off then kidnaps the last few, and partly because I feel awful that the driver is driving all that way just for me; I almost feel like if I wasn't there he could just bunk off and go home. Either way, it makes me uncomfortable.

Cockroaches
I don't know what it is about these disgusting little creatures, but they are the only harmless thing that can leave me huddled on the kitchen table paralysed with fear. And yes, that actually happened.

Really Girly Girls
I'll never be a real girl, and I've mostly come to terms with the fact that I always look like I've been dragged through a bush backward and have the maternal instincts of a cardboard box. But there is something disconcerting about girls who have perfect hair, flawless makeup and outfits that don't look like they were put together by the Salvation Army. How do they do it? How do they find time to drink beer and play Nintendo when they must spend so long just looking like that??
I had a friend in high school whose make up bag weighed more than my dog. Actually. And it scared me.

Being In Bars Alone
Nothing to do with personal safety, this is related to the fact that being alone in a bar is a sign of a 'woman of ill-repute' (my mom's words) and, were I to step foot in a bar alone, I might slowly sink into a pit of drinking alone, drugs, poor hygiene and inevitably death.

Disneyland
I went once and it was amazing. Best day of my life! It was just perfect and a part of me wants to go back, but another part of me realises that no matter how hard I try to recapture that perfect day there is no way it can live up to my expectations and I will be crushed by the weight of my own disappointment and the knowledge that the best of my life is over and nothing will ever be good again. It's a crippling fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment